Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Shipometer

 Having given up on #SoME2, it's time to move on to the next project. Next week I will be going on a cruise. On the cruise, and also on the plane, I wish to record GPS signals. The pocketometer has all the right sensors for that, but unfortunately is not sufficiently reliable. The Raspberry Pi has already proven itself capable of recording GPS from one of the ZED-F9R breakout boards. Now the question is if it can record the sensors on I2C, and the time pulse.

I want to see if I can do this with just the parts that I already have on my desk.

I have a belt bag big enough to hold all the sensors, the Pi, and a 20Ah USB battery pack. That would be a lot less suspicious than stuffing stuff in my pocket.

It would also be great if the Pi could act like a wifi hotspot and serve SSH through it. That way I could look at it on the phone while (literally) in flight.

The last thing that would be awesome is timer capture on the GPIO, of at least the PPS and maybe others, like the interrupt lines from the sensors. If it can't, maybe we could get a program on the Teensy that would do the timer capture and output on UART or as an I2C slave.


No comments:

Post a Comment