Monday, August 21, 2017

Live, from the eclipse path

The Kid Attractor - works on adults too.

Cookie Monster
I'm in Rexburg, ID where the crowds are not as bad as I feared. I left Logan, UT this morning at 4:00am. Traffic on I-15 was interesting. It never slowed down below the speed limit, but there were easily 20 times as many cars heading north as opposed to south. We arrived at Rexburg at 7:30 and found plenty of parking in a church parking lot just south of the Temple.

Just after first contact
Things of note:


  • It did get noticeably darker as the eclipse passed 50%
  • We could see the shadow approach from the west. It was hazy that direction, and I could see a band of dark start at the horizon. It looked like it was getting vertically wider rather than closer.
  • Totality itself cannot be done justice in pictures. I took pictures but used my eyes too. Light level was close to that of just after sunset.  The sky was a deep blue purple. We saw the diamond ring, which was MUCH brighter than the rest of the corona. The corona is white, and rather narrow with 3 long streamers  (more than one solar diameter) One at 12:00, one at 1:30 and one at 7:00. The disk of the moon was the same color as the sky.
  • I thought I got crowd shots, and everyone around said that it was totally worth it. Unfortunately for some reason either the video was never captured or was deleted :(
  • No one bothered to stay long after totality - we just all packed up and ignored the reverse of the spectacle we had just seen.


See you all in 2024!

No comments:

Post a Comment