Monday, March 28, 2011

The Airframe

The Airframe: G-Tec 8005 - Just a cheap-o Brand-X Chinese RC helicopter. Two-speed, 3.5 channel, gyro, I don't know what the heck it is. Most importantly, it has two counter-rotating main rotors and a tail rotor mounted such to give vertical thrust, rather than horizontal as is typical on a real helicopter.


And, it's big. 42 inches, 18 inch rotor span, 950 grams when I first got it out of the box. I want it big so that it can carry 50+ grams of additional electronics.

I was originally planning on building my own airframe from scratch, following the design of Poison 1 in "Cultural Cat-Girl Nuku Nuku". This aircraft mostly looks like an airplane, or an Apache Helicopter with no main rotor. It has, in place of wings, two large fans, and at least one smaller fan at the tail.

The more I thought of it, the more I couldn't justify building my own airframe. I don't really have the tools to do it. And, I had the opportunity to purchase a G-Tec 8005 at just the right time.

I kept all of the structure, all of the rotors, the two main motors, the one tail motor. I removed the blinking lights and the original RC receiver and motor control.



The thing has a canopy, but I am painting it, and also it just gets in the way while I am working on the guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment